Remembering Why I am Here



A few weeks back I had the incredible opportunity to meet Sylvester Peter and his kids at the Angel’s Academy in West Delhi http://www.merinews.com/article/every-child-is-an-angel/15776642.shtml. Sylvester has devoted his life to providing holistic education to slum children in Delhi. There are about 35 kids that he interacts with on a daily basis, many of whom he has personally transformed from thieves and drug addicts into peer leaders.

Although all the kids in the academy all love soccer, we spent the afternoon in their main room listening to their stories, sharing ours and being entertained by some hilarious and heartwarming skits. I always get so much more than I give during these types of visits.

My goal now is to not be that random visitor who shows up to the many slums in India to donate some items, give some hugs, take pictures and leave. Not that there is anything wrong with this, but I am through with that type of contribution. I want to be a more consistent visitor who shows a true commitment to the future of children in India. Whether through fundraising, education or just time I want to contribute more.

Thanks to Sukkhi and Tulika for inviting us along and reminding me of one of the main reasons why I wanted to be in this country…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Cities, 3 Football Academies

Liverpool International Football Academy Coaches – Ray Curtis and Michael Rice

Dreams Do Come True - International Book Tour