My Angels Academy Annual Day

Anyone who actually reads this blog would know that I'm just in awe of Sylvester Peter and the extraordinary youth at My Angels Academy.  This man has not only transformed the lives of 100+ slum dwelling youth, he has also established systems to ensure the legacy of his love, discipline and commitment continues whether he is physically present or not. 

A few weeks back I was invited to witness the My Angels Academy Annual Day function at St. Marks school in Janakpuri.  Although I've been to the actual academy in Vikaspuri many times, I've never had the opportunity to see the Annual Day which I've heard is something that can't be missed. 

The program was about 3 hours long and consisted of dance performances, skits, acrobatics and an awards ceremony.  

I loved the entire program as just the experience of being around the Angels is enjoyable and therapeutic. That said, a couple of moments of the evening truly stick out for me:
  • There was a ballroom dance scene where all of these adorable 5 - 10 year olds were placed into couples and brilliantly danced together - I remember thinking that even with all the access to arts that I've have had since I was a child, I've never learned to ballroom dance like these amazing youth 
  • The acrobatic pyramids that the Angels built were unbelievable - not only did it show that they have incredible strength and flexibility, it also showed me that these youth truly know how to work together to accomplish a common goal
  • A few of the parents of the Angels received awards for their support of the program - it was so special to see these people get recognised for going against the community for the sake of their child's welfare and growth
Overall, it was the perfect way to spend a Sunday evening in Delhi.  I know I say this in every post about visiting the Angels but I always feel that the Angels give me so much more than I can ever give them and I feel embarrassed that they regularly recognise me whenever I visit the Academy. I hope everyone has the opportunity to witness this program and interact with some of India's finest youth. 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Cities, 3 Football Academies

Liverpool International Football Academy Coaches – Ray Curtis and Michael Rice

Dreams Do Come True - International Book Tour