My Very Own Big Fat Indian Wedding

The past 2 months have been extraordinary! I married the girl of my dreams and then went on an incredible island-hopping trip through the Philippines.

Honestly, I had no idea what my life would be like when I moved to this country many years ago. I was sure that I would be involved in football and hopefully make some friends along the way.  But not even in my wildest dreams – and I am a chronic wild dreamer – could I have imagined meeting my soul-mate, falling in love with her, her actually falling in love with me and us getting married in Delhi in front of 500 of our closest family and friends. 

All the clichés, advice and statements I’ve heard for so many years are true. Sayings like, “when you meet the right person, you just know," and “Punjabi Indian weddings are the most fun weddings in the world" and “make sure you stop a few times during your wedding, look up and enjoy seeing all of your friends and family together in celebration of love.” Although I've intentionally paid little attention to everything I’ve ever heard about marriage and weddings for the past 10 years except the phrase “open bar,” I must admit that the whole wedding and post wedding celebrations have been enriching and liberating - words that I'd never thought I say.    

The best part of the wedding, outside of committing my life to Avantika, was that so many of my friends and family from all over the world made the effort to not only travel thousands of miles to get to India, but to also fully participate in all 5 days of wedding functions which means eating everything, drinking everything, mingling with new people and dancing the night away - all while sporting newly purchased traditional Indian outfits.  For many of them it was their first time in India and I’m so happy that they had the opportunity to experience this amazing country through the sights, sounds, smells, rituals and chaotic debaucherous madness of an Indian wedding.

The evening of the wedding was a mini football-networking event as so many of my friends from the global and Indian football industries were in attendance. I feel blessed that during my 13 years in this industry, I’ve not only been able to make contacts but actually build a number of true friendships.  These genuine relationships have made my journey so much more rich and enjoyable.   

Here are some pictures from the wedding and honeymoon….


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Cities, 3 Football Academies

Liverpool International Football Academy Coaches – Ray Curtis and Michael Rice

Dreams Do Come True - International Book Tour