ICC Cricket World Cup - Not Impressed

The ICC Cricket World Cup is being hosted in India right now.  Given that after I somehow managed not to get tickets for any of the 1994 FIFA World Cup matches, I promised myself that I will attend at least one match of ANY World Cup of any sport hosted in the country I'm currently living in. This promise hadn't really been tested until the Field Hockey World Cup took place in Delhi last March. I went to two matches and had a blast.  

So about a month ago, I secured tickets for the only good match being played in Delhi, West Indies v South Africa.  Given all the hype about the ICC Cricket World Cup leading up to the tournament, I caught the cricket fever and began to get excited about the match. I know that I'm typically bored out of my mind watching a full cricket match, but I thought somehow this would be different. That maybe because it is "World Cup" that the organizers would go out of their way to create an exciting atmosphere. Boy was I wrong...


A typical "Sold Out" stadium atmosphere

Everything about the experience screamed amateur and a far step below the standards FIFA and football organizing committees have set. The outer stadium area was littered with, well litter, and full of armed, bored cops just loitering around.  There were random urinals set up along the walk way to the stadium making it almost impossible not to get a good glimpse of men relieving themselves in the open just a few feet away from you. 

Then once you get inside the stadium, you are treated to inedible food, empty seats and zero atmosphere. Now I'm not blaming India for this, I'm blaming the ICC. Given that it's an ICC World Cup, I would imagine that the ICC would step in and ensure the pride of their tournament is being taken into consideration.  I know that this type of environment is not allowed at a FIFA World Cup and I would expect the ICC to act in the same manner. 

There is still another half of the tournament left and I know that it can only go up from here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Cities, 3 Football Academies

Liverpool International Football Academy Coaches – Ray Curtis and Michael Rice

Dreams Do Come True - International Book Tour