FCBarcelona Camp Delhi…..Another Dream Fulfilled

I don’t know how many times I can say  or write this, but it’s so hard for me to hold in. Moving to India was the best choice I have ever made. Not just moving to India, but moving to India exactly when I chose to move to India. I arrived a little over 2 years ago with dreams to support the growth of football in this country, especially at the grassroots level. I had no idea exactly how I was going to do it or who I was going to do it with, but I was clear that this would be my commitment to myself and this country over the next few years. Fortunately, 2 things happened that has helped me begin to realize dream after dream after dream:


1. I’ve met a few incredible, genuine and passionate people

2. The pressure to make football in India work has reached emergency levels both domestically and internationally

The above has made my adventure here so much more productive and fun and I truly feel blessed to have the opportunities that I have.
Any follower of this blog would know that one of the biggest professional highlights for me has been helping to pave the way for FC Barcelona to enter India. However, after the hangovers from the successful press conference started to fade away, everyone had to look at how the first set of camps were going to be professionally executed.

I won’t go into the details of the intense 2 months of planning that followed the press conference, but I will say that Rajesh & Anu Jain of Conscient Football and their staff were incredible and as good as any grassroots football administrators I’ve worked with in any part of the world.

So it was no surprise that the first FCBarcelona Camp India was a major, major success. Here are a few highlights:

• All 360 spots were filled by players representing 80 schools and 8 cities

• The players and parents were smiling each day and could not stop sharing how happy they are

• The 3 coaches from FCBarcelona, Tony, Alexis & Pep, were fantastic and I had the opportunity to show them some of the Delhi day and nightlife

The pictures really tell the whole story, however the biggest highlight for me was the fact that 5 players from the Indian national team made an appearance at the camp. For me this was heaven because it’s the connection I wanted to create in this country: grassroots – Indian National Team – FCBarcelona. Seeing it happening on the pitch with media and key influencers all around was as fulfilling as any football event I’ve ever experienced. Dreams do come true….









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Cities, 3 Football Academies

Liverpool International Football Academy Coaches – Ray Curtis and Michael Rice

My Love Affair With Kolkata