I ALWAYS KNEW I WOULD BECOME A COACH SOMEDAY...JUST A DIFFERENT TYPE OF COACH

To my loyal readers: let me express my sincere apologies for disappearing for a while. My last post was in December of 2021, which makes this, I believe, the longest gap between posts since I started this blog in early 2010. Since December 2021, I have experienced several positive shifts in my personal and professional life; however, I will use this opportunity to share one of my proudest achievements.  

I have become a certified Professional Coach! 

In 2002, when I started working with Major League Soccer, I planned to get an introductory-level coaching badge so I could effectively coach youth soccer players during the weekend. Then I got busy with work, completing my MBA, social life, girlfriends, exploring New York City, etc., and never took any action aligned with this plan.  In 2009, when I moved to India, again, I thought I would get an AIFF D-license and start coaching Indian youth in my free time.  Never happened.  

Deep down inside, I always wanted to coach, which made me wonder why I was not pursuing a coaching license with the same enthusiasm I usually exude when I want something.  Then, in 2018, I got into education and learned about life coaching. I worked with a professional life coach for a while and eventually came to understand that my passion to coach had nothing to do with being on the sidelines of a football pitch, it was about working with people on their dreams, aspirations, challenges and blind spots.  The seed was planted, and finally, in 2021, I had the opportunity to pursue a year-long life-coaching course through an organisation called Leadership That Works. 

I completed the program in August 2022 and have started coaching students at GISB as well as individual clients. I can comfortably say that professional coaching is one of the most fulfilling experiences I have ever had and it gives my life purpose each day.  As I love lists, I will share the top five things I learned from my foray into professional coaching. 

  • Being a great coach starts with developing an ability to love your client – when you love the person sitting across from you, it is easy to put your ego aside and completely focus on what your client needs
  • The most important tool in coaching is deep listening – creating a safe space for your client to share and be heard is half the work
  • I have found that guiding your client to get into their bodies through movement, focusing and breathwork creates a fantastic opportunity to shift energy and tap into somatic intelligence 
  • The initial ‘discovery session’ with the client is critical; it sets a healthy foundation of trust and understanding for all future coaching sessions to build upon
  • Coaching and mentorship are not the same things! (see below)

I am thrilled to have developed these new skills over the past year and secured a qualification that gives me confidence as I look to impact people’s lives through one-on-one interactions. So, while I may not be coaching a team to a championship anytime soon, hopefully, I can help individuals get into the right mindset to build championship winning clubs and athletes work through their limiting beliefs to achieve their full potential on and off the pitch. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Cities, 3 Football Academies

Liverpool International Football Academy Coaches – Ray Curtis and Michael Rice

Dreams Do Come True - International Book Tour